Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment - LXDE is a new project aimed to provide a new desktop environment which is lightweight and fast. It's not designed to be powerful and bloated, but to be usable and slim enough, and keep the resource usage low. Different from other desktop environments, we don't tightly integrate every component. Instead, we tried to make all components independent, and each of them can be used independently with few dependencies.
* Lightweight, runs with reasonable memory usage
* Fast, rund well even on older machines produced in 1999
* Good-looking, gtk+ 2 internationalized user interface
* Easy-to-use, the user interface is simple, but usable enough
* Desktop independent (suprise! Every component can be used without LXDE)
* Standard compliant, follows the specs on freedesktop.org
* Suitable for old machines or netbooks (such as EeePC)